Featured ETHNO-CHAUVINISM AND ITS NEGATIVE EFFECT ON IGBO POLITY.

Discussion in 'Igbo Talk' started by Izu, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Izu

Izu Admin Staff Member

Mr. Imo Orji was a student at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka. During discussions with his mates, he was asked his State of origin, and he went thus; "I have had to change my State of Origin 4 times since I was born. Firstly, I grew up knowing I come from Imo State, then in 1991, Abia State was created, I found myself in Abia. In 1996, Ebonyi State was created, I found myself in Ebonyi, then there was a mild boundary re-adjustment, I found myself back in Abia again, before the final re-adjustment, that threw me back to Ebonyi." His short but interesting story caused a cacophony of laughter among his friends.

Mrs. Nneka comes from a boundary town between Imo and Anambra States. Although, officially she's from Imo State, it's just her fence that separates her from Anambra, she buys and sells at the Nkwo market in nearby Umuchu, Aguata L.G.A. They mingle and inter-marry freely. Even most Imolites brand her and her people Anambrarians. She doesn't have a problem with that, regardless.

The peoples of Oguta in Imo State, Atani/Ogbaru in Anambra State, Ndoni in Rivers State and parts of Delta State are of the same stock and have close ties of consanguinity, despite the fact they're scattered in different States.
    The peoples of Egbema in Imo and Rivers States are one Ancestry. Up till tomorrow the Eze of the Egbemas in Rivers, pays allegiance to that in Imo.
    =============================
    The import and essence of this post is to draw our attention to the chauvinistic narrative that is tearing Ndigbo apart and killing us softly. A situation where Anambrarians or Imolites go about chest thumping and rubbing it on the faces of others that they're the real Igbos or most intelligent is not only lame but destructive. Let's take for example Mr. Imo Orji's case; What if he had insulted those from Ebonyi by calling them unprintable names and running his mouth that Abians are the Kings and most intelligent? Could he have been able to withdraw those snide comments and statements he made on Ebonyians, since he has now found himself in that Ebonyi and vice versa?

This sort of overt chauvinistic posturing, grinds the gears of saner minds and it's also an aberration of Pan-Igboism. The mythical and stereotypical airs surrounding such behaviour should be condemned by all.
    What if the 6th State being clamoured for the South-East came into fruition and some part of each of the present 5 States is carved out to form the new State, how would you feel, if an Anambrarian, which you once were, now insult or make jest of you, because you found yourself in the newly carved State?

What if during Pre-Independence Regionalism; Agbor, Igbanke and the whole of Igbo speaking parts of Edo and Delta States, were lumped together under the Eastern Region, would there have been the infamous "Real and Fake Igbo"? We are very aware that some Ezes in present day Delta, questioned and petitioned the British colonial government as it were, why they were carved and excised from their kits and kins in the East as it were then.
    What if during State creation in 1991, the Babangida regime decided to lump all Igbo speaking parts of Delta and form a wider Anambra or any other name it chose to give it then?

We should strive and jettison this mindset. State or Regional boundaries are mere imaginary geographical lines they actually mean nothing as long as the unity, economic and political survival of Ndigbo is concerned.
    From Agbor to Abakiliki, Nsukka to Azumini, Ndigbo have no boundaries. We are one Nation and what binds us is stronger that what drifts us apart. We should assert that agrarian and demographic prowess in order to forge a common political front.

Chauvinism is psychological and it could lead to a psychiatric disorder.
    Chauvinism can lead to Xenophobia>>Hate>>Homicide. In that order.
    *MAPS AND BOUNDARIES ARE MERE IMAGINARY LINES. THEY DON'T EXIST*
    *WE WERE NDIGBO, ARE NDIGBO AND ALWAYS WILL BE PROUDLY NDIGBO*
    *LONG LIVE THE IGBO NATION! MAY IGWE(THE SKY GOD) CONTINUE TO WATCH OVER US*

Full credits to IgboVille Facebook Group Admin.