Igbo Alphabet - ABIDII Igbo.

Discussion in 'Igbo Culture' started by izu, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Izu

Izu Admin Staff Member

Most Languages have it's alphabet, Igbo Language has it's own alphabet. The Igbo Alphabet is refereed to as ABIDII IGBO. Unlike English Alphabet which is made up of 26 letters, Igbo Alphabet is made up of whooping 36 letters, 10 more than the 26 lettered English Alphabet. This is a pure indication on how versatile Igbo can be.

This thread should not be based on the History of Igbo Language writing but one should note that before Igboland came in contact with Britain, there have been a formal form of writing in Igbo called Nsibidi, Nsibidi is a form of writing via symbol. Igbo and the present Akwa-Ibom State people (Ekoid, Efik/Ibibio) used the writing pattern but it later got unpopular because it was also used by secret societies until Britain phased it out and replace it with theirs, this writing pattern was dated to be in existence as far as pre-15th century.

The present authenticated Igbo alphabet was set up by a committee headed by Mazi Onwu in 1961, it was made to follow the English Alphabet pattern but remained 36 letters. Below is Igbo Alphabet

Capital Letters (Akala Nnukwu).
    A B CH D E F G GB GH GW H I Ị J K KP KW L M N Ñ NW NY O Ọ P R S SH T U Ụ V W Y Z.

Small Letters (Akala Obele).
    a b ch d e f g gb gh gw h i ị j k kp kw l m n ń nw ny Ọ ọ p r s sh t u ụ v w y z
    As you can see from above, Igbo Alphabet was reviewed to follow English patter and to make sure the last word is Z ( pronounced zii in Igbo Language). The last Igbo alphabet before the 1961 review committee and 1962 implementation does not stop with Z.

2. Izu

Izu Admin Staff Member

The Image -

abiddi_igbo.jpg

YouTube Video for basic lecture of the reading and pronunciations of Igbo alphabet.

3. Onye

Onye Admin Staff Member

I would also like to inform any users that this site is also available in Igbo language, just change the option in the bottom left corner of the page where it says English (US) and choose Ìgbò. @izu maybe a new thread for this announcement, I've been adding new terms so it isn't completely translated yet.

izu likes this.
  4. Izu

Izu Admin Staff Member

OK, I will.
    I just checked it, you did a very good job in the translation. Thanks very much.

Onye likes this.