Pure Igbo

Discussion in 'Igbo Talk' started by Izu, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Izu

Izu Admin Staff Member

Proceeding up the main river, we find at first a mixture of Ijo, Igabo, and Ibo, as far as Abo, i.e. about 135 miles from the sea, and from this point pure Ibo up to Asaba; then a mixture on the east bank of Ibo and Bini as far as Illushi, or at least from where the Kukuruku country commences, and on the west bank up to the boundary of the Igara or Igala, who at one time owned a large and extensive kingdom, which has recently, however, very much dwindled both in size and importance.
    But as this work principally concerns only the Ibo and other tribes already mentioned, further detail regarding any of the more northern tribes, such as the Kukuruku, will be quite unnecessary.
    Lastly, but first in importance—not only numerically, but politically—are the Igbo or Ibo, occupying the heart of Southern Nigeria, i.e. the country between the Niger and Cross rivers, extending to the south within 60 miles of the seaboard, and to the north along the Cross river as far as the sixth parallel of latitude and up to the seventh degree in the direction of the Niger.
    Going westward, and crossing over the Niger from Abo on the rightbank up to and beyond Asaba, we find the Ibo in occupation of a narrow strip of country that is bordered on the west by the Igabo and Sobo country, and on the north by the Kukuruku; and although it is difficult to speak with any certainty, I think it more than probable that some of the tribes to the east of the Cross river are merely sections of the Ibo race, or Ibo.
    For even those who have remained on the western bank, (after the expulsion of Ezetsima) and who are therefore within easy touch of Benin, are Ibo in every essential, talking pure Ibo, and not a mixed language, or even a dialect, in which Bini words are to be found."
    The Lower Niger and Its Tribes, by Arthur Glyn Leonard, Macmillan and Co., limited, London, 1906
    MY COMMENTS:
    1. Note he called us Igbo in 1906 but still prefered to use Ibo in the book.
    2. Note his description of the landmass of Igboland.
    3. Note his use of "pure Ibo" twice to describe what is now Anioma as if he knew some people will deny their Igboness in the future.

Research credits to Emeka Maduewesi, San Francisco, CA, United States.