Featured Should we be proud of having the English language?

Discussion in 'Igbo Talk' started by Onye, Jul 12, 2016.

?
  1. Yes, English works to our advantage

2. No, English is still a foreign language

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Onye

Onye Admin Staff Member

We are a country where the highest educational attainment is synonymous with a good grasp of English. There seems to be conflict as to whether traditional languages are sidelined for English or whether English is still a foreign language. However, all over the world, many are making effort to introduce English into their schools and institutions, English is seen as an 'international' language of business in short. So should English speaking Africans be proud of having the English language and maintain its use, regardless of the situation of indigenous languages?

izu likes this.
  2. Izu

Izu Admin Staff Member

English might not be our mother tongue but we should be happy to have English Language as our Lingua Franca.
    This is one of the good things we benefited from British Colonization, alongside Education/Civilization, abolition of some barbaric cultures eg osu,orsu, killing of twins etc and to an extent, Christianity.
    English today is the most popular Language on earth so the benefit and prospects of having the language cannot be overemphasized, I believe country like China will be of wish they have inept knowledge of English, it could have benefited them much in the quest for international trade. English being the number one language of the Internet today is another great benefit, however, we need to understand that English Language is not our mother tongue and can never be.
    English might be more widely spoken Language than our loving Igbo Language but it is not superior to our Language.
    If any son and daughter cannot not speak Igbo they should turn deaf and dumb, it's too shameful of boasting to be fluent in English but seriously lacking in your mother tongue.
    Our parents should also stop giving their children the notion that English Language is more superior than Igbo Language.
    Thanks.

Onye likes this.
  3. Onye

Onye Admin Staff Member

I agree @izu , only that I will say that we had civilisation before, but exposure to the world and some Christian practices helped take away some undesirable practices, although colonisation definitely was oppressive and Christianity helped and still helps in diminishing cultures and traditional religion, especially protestant denominations and pentecostal churches. The two languages we have can work side by side, but the problem we have is people picking English over the other even when they can't speak either correctly.

izu likes this.
  4. Izu

Izu Admin Staff Member

Yes, I know civilization existed in Igboland for centuries before the advent of Europeans to Igboland. However, British changed our civilization because they believe theirs is superior which if we can be honest, they are right though not totally. That being said, they should be applauded for their efforts in abolishing some barbaric culture/traditions,it exposed us to better life and more understanding of the worth of every single human life.
    I agree, Igbo should work hand in hand with English, the notion that English is superior to Igbo Language is one of the mentalities we need to get rid of today, painfully, it is like a cancer that has been spreading throughout Igboland without being checked.
    The end point is that our children must learn Igbo first before moving over to English, I consider it shameful for any son or daughter to say he can't speak Igbo, really shameful. Let's take the advantage of the prospect of English Language but we must not let it take the position of our mother tongue - Igbo Language.
    Thanks.

5. Onye

Onye Admin Staff Member

I see what you mean by civilisation, I believe the British shouldn't be credited for valuing human lives and this is why.

As you may know Britain trafficked over 2 million Africans from Africa to the Caribbean and North America to be beaten and brutalised and to be forcefully made to do gruelling work from childhood till death, at least a million of those over 300 years were Igbo. African women including Igbo women were often raped and sick people thrown off ships because they could not be sold so they were eaten by sharks, there's even one infamous case of such trafficking where British people sank a ship called the Zong with over 200 Africans because they fell ill and they'd rather collect insurance for the capital on African lives. Read this story for instance. When the British invaded Africa they not only waged wars but they instigated genocides and wiped out entire villages, even after Nigeria's so called independence, the British were the master planners of Nigeria's downfall and were the main instigators and supply of arms for the Nigerian army during the Nigeria-Biafra war which led to the loss of over a million lives. They are even the ones who undermined the Igbo language. No amount of sacrifice of war victims or twin-killing among some Igbo people could reach their death toll.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I say all this to demonstrate how the British have never cared for human lives and I want to say, as you may already know, that the British were only in Nigeria to extract their resources and leave. The British had superior technology in some aspects but this would not have been possible without the input of the whole world who contributed to or originated those sciences such as the Chinese and gunpowder, and inventions by uncredited African slaves. That's I don't commend the British any time soon and do not see any of their ways as superior.

But I do agree that their influence has shifted away some undesirable practices, but imperialism or Christian hegemony wasn't really needed for that because we have examples of Igbo people who had banned many of these practices hundreds of years before the coming of the British such as Nri who banned osu and slave trading.

Yes, children should be encouraged to speak the languages and and to get a proper handle of both languages.

6. Izu

Izu Admin Staff Member

Yeah, you are right. I shouldn't even be given them the credits for Christianity in Igboland, Christian missionaries did not have British colonization agenda when they came to Igboland. Britain invaded Igboland and colonized or forefathers, Christian missionary society (CMS) and the Roman Catholic Missionaries came with the single aim of establishing churches in mind while the heartless British conquero rule on our forefathers as their masters. Everything was what will favor them.

Onye likes this.
  7. Onye

Onye Admin Staff Member

That's true, we shouldn't forget the roles of many missionaries, the missionaries often came with good intentions and they saved thousands of lives in the Nigeria-Biafra war, it was partly their efforts that saw the ending of twin killing and human sacrifice. They created a safe place for people who were outcasts and they took care of abandoned children, without them many people may have died and their schools helped many Igbo people catch up with Western education. That's not to talk of the introduction of the bible and the positive lessons in it, the bibles translation is what helped to standardise Igbo after all that is why we have ABIDII Igbo because of the help of the Yoruba Archbishop Ajayi Crowther.

[​IMG]
    Their individual positive efforts are valued and they represented the good parts of the British, even though the church as a whole was an arm of British occupation and imperialism and a vessel for European supremacy, like this article says, which undermined some positive cultures and led to a hostile environment for traditional religious worshippers.

izu likes this.